The following is an attachment sent to me from Brent Bean, Director of Agronomy, United Sorghum Checkoff.
In 2016 the United Sorghum Checkoff Program (USCP) sponsored sugarcane aphid (SCA) research trials around the U.S. Earlier this month they, along with Bayer CropScience and Dow AgroSciences, hosted a workshop in Dallas where all of the researchers had the opportunity to share their results and discuss sugarcane aphid management strategies for 2017.
Attached is a presentation titled ‘Sugarcane Aphid Management – 2017’ that summarizes what we have learned about SCA management over the last two years.
As you review the presentation please refer to the comments on each slide for help with interpretation of the data.
The presentation is broken down into the following topics:
- SCA biology
- Tolerant hybrids
- Effectiveness of seed treatments
- Thresholds: Determining when to spray
- When to spray
- Susceptible vs tolerant hybrids
- Should spray threshold change with sorghum growth stage
- Insecticide choices and rates
- Controlling SCA in the presence of other pests (midge, headworms)
- SCA management prior to harvest
- Cultural and environmental factors that influence SCA control
- Best management practices
Please call or email me with any questions.